Nurturing a young turkey chick into adulthood can be task especially because they have diverse needs when it comes to health, nutrition and socialization. Their needs differ when being nurtured by a caretaker and by their own mother.
To ensure that the turkey chicks grow with good health and comfort here are some recommendations listed by the experts at AQAI.in, on the kind of care that a day-old turkey might require.
1. All the young chicks need to be properly vaccinated with location specific vaccines if any. Along with this, it is necessary that a preliminary health checkup is completed and tested for any major health concerns.
2. It is advised to keep the mother and the chick together at all times and separate them only under dire circumstances. The circumstances that would motivate such actions would be if, one of them contracted a communicable disease or if they need some time to recover from a health concern.
3. A large breed turkey’s food intake needs to be strictly monitored as they tend to gain a lot of weight in a short period of time. This could contribute to a series of health issues. Non-large breed turkeys have nothing to worry about and their diets need not be restricted.
4. A turkey chick’s diet should consist of more niacin and proteins than that of a chicken chick’s diet. Thus, the starter food designed for turkeys contain higher percentages of protein. But keep in mind that if a large breed turkey chicks are free fed this same feed then it could result in unhealthy weight gain. It is essential to ensure that the turkey chicks are not deprived of essential nutrients that could lead to nutritional deficiencies.
5. Turkey chicks need to be fed chick appropriate insoluble grit as they don’t have teeth.
6. It is imperative that the chicks are not fed grit that contains oyster shells or other forms of calcium. Too much calcium could result in serious health issues for turkey chicks.
7. Access to fresh, clean water is absolutely necessary for growing chicks. The ideal temperature of the water should be lukewarm, not too hot or cold.
You can find day-old turkey chicks on AQAI.in, an online market place for farmers who intend to set up their own farms with the right livestock, poultry or fish. At AQAI.in you can also find the vaccination schedule for your day old turkey chicks.